March 13, 2009

Let's go fly a kite!

Wednesday was surprisingly nice outside. We were in the backyard playing and Zack found his Kite in the shed. It was actually a perfect (windy) day for kite flying. We walked across the street to the golf course, away from powerlines and trees. It took Zack a little while to get the hang of kite flying. He'd run and get the kite up in the air, then stop and down came the kite.

I showed him how to get it back up in the air by himself and he took off running down the fairway with kite in tow! He was doing great until he the fairway curved and now he was running straight for a tree. I was about 75 yards back with Aaron, who was only interested in collecting items from the golf course...pine cones, leaves, fairway markers!!


I yelled to Zack to come back, but it was too late, he tangled the kite in the tree! I tugged on the string but it was stuck. I surveyed the tree and decided that I might be able to climb the tree and reach the kite. I was able to climb the tree and I was about 3 feet from the kite and the winds picked up. I had to move closer to the trunk of the tree to keep from falling. I had momentary flashes of me falling from the tree and getting hurt and stranded there with a toddler and preschooler crying (because the kite is stuck!) So I decided I couldnt reach the kite and climbed down. I found a really big stick and was able to pull the limb down. I got the body of the kite down, but the tail was too tangled in the branches. Zack went on and on about the tail being stuck.

3 comments:

  1. When I was pregnant we had some nice wind and I took one of my kites out (yes, I had my own kites with no kids :D ). Anyway, the handle got away from me and in my waddling state I couldn't catch it before it flew away into the deep woods behind our house. I had to cute the string and let the kite free. I do wonder where that kite ended up adventuring too! I wasn't nearly as determined as you to climb anything to get it back, tho I didn't have a crying toddler as motivation either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is an adventure! It was really windy. I bet Zach really took off with it. At least he had the fun of flying it on his own before it got tangled in the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was having fun flying the kite by myself before I handed the reigns over to Zack. I couldnt imagine chasing after a kite while pregnant! (lol) I was hard enough chasing after Zachary when I was pregnant with Aaron! And I certainly dont recommend climbing trees while pregnant.
    At least the kite was only a cheap $1 kite from wal-mart.

    ReplyDelete