April 22, 2009

Trip to DC

The drive to Washington D.C. went smoother than the drive to Erie. Of course we didnt have the dog with us! I was excited to go back to the DC area. I'd move back there in a heart beat. Although the city isnt a good place to raise the boys, there are some great neighborhoods just outside the beltway in Maryland or Virginia. I'm partial to VA just because I lived there.

One thing I like about the area is the climate. It has a defined winter with a little snow, but winter is MUCH shorter there than here in State College.

As we were approaching the Capital Beltway, I was noticing how much greener everything is down there. All the shrubs and underbrush is green, tulips and pansies are blooming and cherry trees are just finishing their blossoms.

Fall colors get all the attention, but I was amazed at the spring-time tree colors. All the Oak trees were a deep maroon color, the cherry trees gave splashes of pinks and whites and there were these purple trees all over the place (But I have no idea what type of trees they are.) Then the varying greens and yellows of new growth on everything was spectacular.

When we got home and I was going through all the photos I took, I realized I took about 20 times more photos of plants and trees than I did of the family!! So below are a several of my favorites.

Me and the boys in front of the White House


Dave and the boys in front of the White House


View from Arlington Cemetary.


Even though I lived about 4 blocks from the Arlington Cemetary and Iwo Jima, I had never visited the sites while I was there.


Looking up the hill at the foot of Kennedy's grave.


A little park near the Key Bridge.


I started getting a little obsessed with taking pictures of the Cherry Blossoms.

I thought this was a cool looking flower...anyone know what it is??

Everytime we saw tulips (and they were everywhere) Zack yelled "TULIPS!!!"






2 comments: